SAN FRANCISCO OPERA CHORUS AUDITIONS
FOR THE 2017 SEASON
OPENINGS IN ALL VOICE CATEGORIES
San Francisco Opera will hold auditions in November for experienced, classically trained singers who are seeking a professional contract in the San Francisco Opera Chorus for the 2017 season. Positions for Soprano, Mezzo, Tenor 2, Baritone and Bass may be available in the full-time Regular Chorus, and all voice parts in the part-time Extra Chorus will be available.
Musical rehearsals are currently scheduled to begin in March of 2017. Performances will take place in June and early July as part of the spring/summer season, with the fall season opening in September and ending in early December, 2017. A tentative Chorus Master Schedule will be provided with any offer.
All auditions take place at the War Memorial Opera House (301 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco) on the following dates:
Monday, November 7 6 to 9 pm
Tuesday, November 8 3 to 6 pm
Thursday, November 10 6 to 9 pm
Friday, November 11 3 to 6 pm
Saturday, November 12 3 to 6 pm
AUDITIONS ARE BY INVITATION ONLY
Please submit your application, resume, headshot with at least two references of recognized musical authority with whom you have worked and your first, second and third choices of audition dates. You must submit all material before consideration will be given for an audition.
· If you auditioned in 2015 and/or 2016, you do not need to submit letters of recommendation or resume/photos, although you may update. You do need to submit an application.
· If you have sung with the San Francisco Opera Chorus in any of the past 5 seasons, you will automatically qualify for an audition. You do need to submit an application.
· If you qualify for an audition, you will be notified via email no later than one week before the audition date. For those coming from out of town your audition date/time will be sent immediately so as to allow for travel arrangements.
· Once assigned an audition date/time, no changes will be made with less than 72 hour notice.
· San Francisco Opera reserves the right to deny audition requests to singers who have auditioned and not been selected three (3) or more times. In some limited cases this may be waived two years from the last audition, with evidence of additional experience and/or training.
-A minimum of 4 years classical voice training – academic or private.
-Excellent sight reading ability – music and languages.
-Ability to memorize music quickly.
-Experience in another professional OPERA or SYMPHONY chorus and/or strong academic or other non-professional experience.
-Stage experience or significant stage training.
-Availability to work according to a complex rehearsal and performance schedule.
-Ability to take and accept stage and musical direction.
-Ability to work in a theatrical environment, including but not limited to the ability to perform in a variety of stage conditions including flat and raked stages, at stage level and on elevated platforms, and with the use of specific scenic effects including the use of stage smoke and fog simulator effects including but not limited to steam and dry ice.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Singers should submit materials to: San Francisco Opera Chorus
301 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA94102
Attn.: Mary Finch, Auditions Coordinator
Phone: (415)565-3205 email@example.com
Regular Chorus: 3 to 4 operatic arias contrasting in style and language; Extra Chorus: 2 to 3 operatic arias contrasting in style and language.
- You may be asked to sing only one aria.
- Arias should be sung in the original key and language. One aria should be by Mozart.
- The ability to read and memorize music quickly and accurately is a must. You may be asked to sight read.
- You should anticipate the audition lasting no longer than 4 minutes; please plan your repertoire accordingly.
- San Francisco Opera will furnish an accompanist. You must provide a legible copy of each aria, in the correct key, for the accompanist. You may bring your own accompanist if you would prefer.
- No guests will be permitted into the audition site.
All employment is conditioned upon your providing timely and satisfactory evidence of your ability to legally work in the United States upon your acceptance of our offer of employment, should one be extended.
Should you have questions please submit them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org